Monday, December 27, 2004

Aloha

Sarah and I are back from Hawaii. We both had a great time there. Going to Hawaii was a dream come true. Unfortunately, we both caught a cold there and we're still sick. Hawaii was pretty warm for the most part. Sarah caught a cold from the air conditioner in our hotel room that was on during the night and I got the cold from her. I feel that if Sarah gets sick, then I should get sick too.

Here's a quick recap of my past week:

On Friday, December 17, 2004, I had my office Christmas party. Everyone in our office had a secret Santa. We put little gifts inside our secret pal's stockings during the couple weeks leading to Christmas. At the party, we found out who our secret Santas were and exchanged gifts. We also had a game where we fought for miscellaneous gifts that one of my coworkers brought in. I first got some nice candles but somone stole that from me. When someone steals a gift, I get to choose another gift from the pile of wrapped presents. I eventually ended up with a video of "The Terminator". That should be worth something someday, right? It has our governor starring in it, after all. Sarah also went to the party. It took her about 3 1/2 hours to get to Pechanga's from L.A. because of the traffic on Friday night. She ended up with a disposable camera that we used to take some of our pictures in Hawaii.

Sarah and I slept over in one of my co-worker's RV. It was pretty cool. I want one of those some day. It has everything a house has, except in a smaller scale.

On Saturday, December 18, 2004, Sarah and I went to my parents' place. We had BBQ steaks for my birthday dinner. I love BBQ.

On Sunday, December 19, 2004, Sarah and I went to LAX after church. We ran into a little mishap at the airport. One of the airline people at American Airlines refused to give Sarah a ticket because her legal name is Sae Jin Kim. She did not have a photo ID of her under the name of Sarah. I told them that she was the same person and that she had two names. They refused to let her in unless I paid $100 more to change the name on the ticket. I called Expedia for help but they weren't any help either. They said that I needed to buy a new ticket under Sae Jin. I asked about the ticket I bought under Sarah and they said that they would charge $100 to change or cancel a ticket. Then, I started to throw a temper tantrum. Eventually, someone with some sense at American Airlines understood that Sarah and Sae Jin was the same person and let her board.

After that incident, everything else went pretty smoothly. We saw "Elf" for our inflight movie. We started reenacting some scenes from the movie like stretching out our legs on the escalators as they went up.

I picked up a new white Chevy Cavalier at Avis. Sarah called it a "Ddong cha" because there were no power doorlocks or windows. We stayed at Ocean Resort Hotel in Waikiki. It was only 2 blocks away from the beach and we had an ocean view.

On Monday, December 20, 2004, we walked around Waikiki Beach. We did some shopping at some of the shops there. There are ABC stores located at nearly every block in Waikiki. It's so ridiculous. ABC stores are like liquor/gift stores in Hawaii. Apparently, they still do very well.

We hiked up Manoa Falls. We got bitten by mosquitos. It was really hot and humid in Hawaii while we were there.

Then, I went to Lanikai Beach. I specifically wanted to go there because it was Travel Channel's number one beach in Hawaii. It was really beautiful there. I'd like to retire early and live there.

We saw a couple free hula shows at the International Market Place too. That was cool.

On Tuesday, we drove to the North Shore in Hawaii and saw the huge waves there. We ate lunch at Turtle Bay on the beach. We drove around all of Oahu. I drove back to Lanikai Beach because I thought that was the best beach in Oahu.

On Wednesday, we went to Mandarin Oriental Hotel's Plumeria Cafe. We ate a lunch buffet there. That hotel had its own dolphin pool. We drove to the western most part of Oahu where the road ends. I felt like we were at the edge of the world. I could see where the rocks looked like they were turning into sand from the pounding waves. Then, we went to the Ala Moana Town Center.

On Thursday, we went to Hanauma Bay to go snorkeling. That was awesome. I saw a tortoise and swam along with it. We then hiked up Diamond Head and saw the nice view of Waikiki.

On Friday, we left for home.

I wish we had one month for our honeymoon.

2 comments:

p3lemonade said...

"Then, I started to throw a temper tantrum."

David, I see a pattern here.

Welcome back. I hope you brought me a gift from Hawaii. Maybe a can of those Mauna Loa macadamias?

David Kim said...

If you tell me who you really are, I'll give you some of the macedemian nuts and chocolates I brought from Hawaii.