Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle

I've never been to White Castle, but I do want to try some of their mini-burgers. Too bad we don't have it out in L.A.

I thought this was going to be a funny movie in the lines of American Pie, but I was pretty disappointed. None of the jokes are really that funny. Everything in this ridiculous movie is non-sequitur.

I don't even think that this movie really dispels racial stereotypes either. Instead of relieving racial tensions, the jokes probably do nothing but propound them.

Harold (John Cho) and Kumar (Kal Penn), after smoking some weed, get a jonesing for White Castle hamburgers. This movie looks like it was made by potheads. Some of the jokes could have been funny, but just like a stoned guy telling a joke, the movie just laughs at itself without finishing the joke. This movie might be hilarious to guys who are high, but I think guys who are high on chronic laugh at anything including the movie, Sixteen Candles.

It could have been a lot funnier if it finished the potentially funny scenes instead of just trying to portray what a marijauna trip might be like. It was just weird and none of it made sense. It just played out like a bad humor dream. They just went from one place to the next bumping into the same guys over and over again all night. We see Neil Patrick Harris from Doogie Howser, M.D., play himself as a sexmaniac who is high on X. Then, we see Harold and Kumar smoke pot with a cheetah and they both get a ride on it across the freeway. Since I never tried smoking a reefer, I just can't relate to the comedy. This movie may be a stoner classic, but it just didn't get me high.

My rating: F, 55. Don't watch it unless you took a hit on a hookah before or want to.

No comments: