Friday, January 06, 2006

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Posted by Picasa

Don't ask me how I'm watching all these movies all of a sudden. I'm just addicted to movies now. I guess movies have replaced my videogame addiction. . .for the time being. Now, I'm a zombie at work. I need to get some more sleep.

I thought director Tim Burton did a great job of retelling Roald Dahl's classic children's fairytale story. I don't think it will ever replace the original film, "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" starring Gene Wilder. That film has been embedded in my mind ever since I watched it as a kid. The freaky boat ride and the catchy oompa loompa song is forever etched in my brain.

Tim Burton's film was weird, whimsical, and wonderful just like the rest of his films. The story is a bit darker than the previous film, thanks to Burton's style.

Entering Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory is like entering Wonderland. It's weird and magical and nothing makes sense.

Willy Wonka, played by Johnny Depp, is a big weirdo. He reminds me of Michael Jackson. He acts real feminine and looks freaky. He has a sort of gray skin tone. He doesn't really seem to be able to relate or socialize with people in the outside world. He's lost in his own little world.

I think this film is very similar to the original film. It had more similarities than differences. Thanks to modern technology, the visuals of the film look fantastic. The colors are very bright and surreal. The old film's technicolor was awesome too.

The story is pretty much the same as the old film's, but I think it's closer to the book than the old one was. All the memorable scenes from the old film are here in the new film, except with a modern twist. This film had a slightly different ending than the first film though. I think the ending gave this film more meaning than the original.

Charlie, played by Freddie Highmore, was a great kid. I think he did a superb job of acting, especially near the end when he had to choose between his family and the chocolate factory. He was very likable. The other kids did a good job too. They did their job well of acting like spoiled brats. You almost wanted them to get what they deserved. Yet, in these litigious times, how can you do that to kids without being sued for everything you've got? It's almost unbelievable how they walked away looking like that. Maybe they were on their way to see their lawyers afterwards. Are those kids ever going to be back to their normal bodies later? I don't think any hospital can fix them up.

Deep Roy did a good job of playing all the Oompa Loompas. He must have been very busy getting into all those different costumes. I kinda got tired of looking at his face though. It was a good way to save money on casting, but he wasn't easy on the eyes.

I love Willy Wonka's Nerds candy. You can still buy them today. Too bad you can't buy any of the really cool candy you see in the movie.

This is another great Tim Burton movie. The film has his signature trademark style to it. Too bad it's geared more towards kids than adults.

When are they going to make a sequel about "Charlie and the Glass Elevator"?

David Kim's movie review: B, 87.

3 comments:

Marie said...

I liked it until the end - why did they have to make that Freudian "I'm trying to get back with my father" business? The book was better. Still, it was worth seeing.

B* said...

YUmmmm I love Nerds candy!!!!

Yeah i thought the movie was beautifully made...but Johnny Depp ruined the magic of it by being incredibly creeeeeeeeeeeeepy!
Charlie was a total cutie though...

I love love love the orignal one...and was hoping for something better or a totally different take on it. Johnny depp did remind me of Micheal and I think many pple made that comparison.

David Kim said...

Thanks for posting comments, Monika and sdit. Video Aldwyn, I'll think about doing the link exchange thing.