« Home | Fargo Street Hill Climb » | Hill Climb » | Marlboro Hot Laps Drifting Mustang » | Marlboro Indy Car » | Sunday School Musical » | Sunday School » | Contest Rehearsals » | Gospel Song Contest Rehearsals » | Marlboro Hot Laps » | The Joys and Sorrows of Cycling » 

Saturday, April 11, 2009 

Pasadena Marathon Bike Tour


The Pasadena Marathon was finally held in March after being postponed a few months because of the wildfires last year.

This year, it was raining pretty hard at certain times during the ride. It started at 6:00 a.m. and it was pretty dark. It was hard to go really fast. I was near the front of the race. I kept making wrong turns following the guys in front of me. It was really dark and raining so I couldn't see very well. I almost hit some cones too. I was freezing when the ride was over, because it started pouring rain and I was just standing around in the cold in my short shorts.

Sorry I didn't update my blog lately. I've been busy at work in a new law office.

Before I took my new job, I was doing some contract work in Costa Mesa. I rode my bike to work. That was over 35 miles one way. It took about 2 hours to ride there, but my other co-workers said it took them about 1.5 hours by car, because of the traffic. I'd rather be cycling for 2 hours then be stuck in traffic for 1.5 hours. It's more fun to ride and I got some good exercise. Right now, however, I haven't touched my bike in weeks due to the very long hours of work.

The first day I biked there, I had one of the worst commutes ever going back home. I bonked out because I used up too much energy accelerating stop light after stop light. Cars kept honking at me, because they're idiots. Also, there were no shoulders for me to ride on and let cars pass for about 15-20 miles.

I had to stop and eat 2 times before I got home. I was so hungry from using up so much energy biking as fast as I could, because the streets were so dangerous and I wanted to get out of that situation as fast as possible. One of my spokes broke on my way home too, because I was going really fast over some pretty rough roads and potholes. I had to get it trued before I got home. My 30 lb. backpack was killing my back too. I had to carry my food, clothes, and shoes in there along with my heavy duty bike lock and bike repair kit.

I got faster and faster each day I rode though. Now, I'm out of shape again. I only slept 3-4 hours per night during the project. I was only able to do it, because I was so excited from my bike rides.

How have you been!!! It's been long since we met last time. Hope to see you again in the US.

Sounds like a lot of fun! Except for the heavy traffic part. People can be so rude on the roadways!


Hi! Let me know when you come back to L.A.


Hey Abbagirl,

Long time no see.

I hope you're doing okay. I'll check out your blog soon.


Where are you? Weaving in and out of traffic on your bike? Post soon. I miss your posts!


Yes, I have been passing a lot of cars on my bike.

I'll try to post some new stuff on my blog soon.

I've just been too busy helping out at the pharmacy that I haven't had any spare time this month.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

About me

  • I'm David Kim
  • From L.A., California, United States
  • Sarah is my life.
My profile
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from David Kim. Make your own badge here.



Animal of the Day
The WeatherPixie