Monday, October 13, 2008

Long Beach Marathon Bike Tour

It was a pretty cold Sunday morning when I started biking. I was just in my short sleeve jersey and short lycra shorts. I knew that I would start getting hot after biking for awhile so I didn't wear my long sleeve jersey. I had to spin really fast in order to increase my body temperature. It started at 6:00 a.m. so it was dark. One old guy fell when he either hit a pole or the curb when he was riding in a pack. He was crying out in pain. I wanted to stop and help him, but there was a woman who was already running out to help him. I think she was a volunteer. I'm sure she would have done a better job of assisting him than I could have.

There was a shorter Filipino rider who was really fast. All the tall riders seemed to be amazed at his speed. At the mile 25 mark, I started sprinting towards the finish. Unfortunately, that last mile seemed pretty long. I think I started sprinting too early. It was a 26.2 mile ride. There was still 0.2 miles to go and I got passed by the Filipino rider at the end. I almost ran into one of the volunteers at the Finish Line who was trying to slow me down as he was yelling at me "This is not a race!"

Then, I sped back in my car to church and got there before the 8:00 a.m. service.

No comments: